Monday, March 11, 2013

Boho Doilies



Inspiration is like 'BAM!' It hits like a blast of helium into a balloon, rises..., then something happens... the air starts to slowly leak out as we mentally go through the steps required. Dang! why does this have to happen? If your anything like me you dig your heels in, square your shoulders. and exclaim 'ain't no stopping me now, I'm on the move, I've got the groove!'. I'm hooking you up with the music, there's a powerful meaning here...so get yourself in sync and let's groove for a minute. Go ahead turn the volume up!

Ain't no stoppin' us now
We're on the move (yeah-ee-a, yeah-ee-a)
Ain't no stoppin' us now
We've got the groove

There've been so many things that have held us down
But now it looks like things are finally comin' around, yeah
I know we've got a long long way to go, yeah
And where we'll end up
I don't know
But we won't let nothing hold us back
We gonna get ourselves together
We gonna polish up our act, yeah
And if you've ever been held down before
I know that you refuse to be held down any more, yeah yeah
Don't you let nothing, nothing
Nothing stand in your way
And all we gonna do
I want you to listen, listen (That's right)
To every word I say
Every word I say about it

Ain't no stoppin' us now
We're on the move
(You said it, we've got the groove)
Ain't no stoppin' us now
We've got the groove (Whoo-hoo-oo-oo Whoo-hoo-oo)
Ain't no stoppin' us now
We're on the move
(We've got the groove)
Ain't no stoppin' us now
We've got the groove (Yeah)

I know you know someone who's got a negative vibe (Euhh)
And if you only help it will only keep it alive (Sh-yeah)
They really don't have nowhere to go
Ask 'em where they're going
They don't know
But we won't let nothing hold us back
We gonna get ourselves together, come on
We gonna polish up our act, yeah
And if you've ever been held down before
I know that you refuse to be held down any more, Oh oh oh

Don't you let nothing, nothing
(I won't do it) Stand in your way (No no)
And all we gonna do
I want you to listen, listen
To every word I say
Every word I say about it

Ain't no stoppin' us now (That's right)
We're on the move
(Nothing gonna, nothing gonna)
(Stop us now, stop us now)
Ain't no stoppin' us now, Come on
We've got the groove (Whoo-oo-oo yeah yeah)
Ain't no stoppin' us now (No no no)
We're on the move
(On the move, yeah-ee-a, yeah-ee-a)
Ain't no stoppin' us now
We've got the groove (Yeah)


Ain't No Stopping Us Now by McFadden & Whitehead. from Boogie Nights vol. 1


Exploring new interest can be exciting and frightening. I always tell my kids the biggest challenge a designer and artist has is 'fear'. Fear of wasting supplies/money..., time..., and possibly... the project doesn't come out as envisioned. It can be flat out daunting just getting started!

Work with me here a minute...for some time I have been exploring the idea of designing fabric. Much of what I do is very primitive and old school. I take raw materials and manipulate and imagine and dream. The prototypes don't always come off as polished as I would like. But for me the process has become very important.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
“That which we persist in doing becomes easier to do, not that the nature of the thing has changed but that our power to do has increased.”  Ralph Waldo Emerson

Let's just file that one away here to for...because it pretty much applies to every area of our lives.

It's 2:00 am, I'm wide awake... getting inspiration! Here's what came...this pattern from @KellyWearstler...there was something basic, raw and intriguing about the negative space taking front and center stage, AND the way those harmonious blue, green, gold tones wash right into each other...


Kelly Wearstler
So here is the BEGINNING of what came to be from that inspiration. Spark! get one of those vintage doilies Vicki and put it on watercolor paper then use the silver spray paint you have in the basement, and while your at it try orange, green and blue for your patterns... take those expensive watercolor pencils and fill in the spaces and see what comes of it!


Here's where I start feeling the Boho, India vibe...
Yeah...I got going and realized Oops (which is something a dentist should never say), I didn't want the leaves that color... then I just put my big girl pants on and heard myself saying these words 'no fear Vicki, just go for it!'. Turns out my motif has bicolored leaves...and I colored in the negative space which was different.
  

I added some gold leaf cause it's like sugar...makes it all go down better...Then I tried a few filters apps on my Iphone  picfx which I love and phonto for homevestures lettering!




Just sayin..."Don't you let nothin, nothin, stand in your way! Process is part of the process!

Mwah!
Vicki

ps follow me on instagram @homevestures

1 comment: