Monday, February 25, 2013

Piece of Peace

Things don't always stay the same...in fact things are constantly changing around us. Many things feel like they are in our control, but, so many things are really out of our control. Especially, when we have children. As parents we want to 'get' our child's disposition and then quickly determine the best way to nurture their strengths and help them overcome weaknesses.

My first grandchild...we celebrated his second birthday Friday night.

I found myself with one of my children this past week having a discussion about how happy they were from a certain accomplishment they had done, but in the same breath this child was sad because it was the only thing that they felt they had finished and accomplished and done well with. Then, this child gave an enormous amount of credit to their father, and said that "if it weren't for dad...I would not have gotten that done".

My heart went out to this child, and I was sad because I also saw that much time and opportunity had been lost. There was also a sense a gratitude that this child recognized what had happened, and I was glad for that new found understanding which comes from experience.

This conversation has lingered with me. I'm not going lie, I wished it could have been different too. I wished that this child had seized every opportunity for education, growth, work, and prosperity, along with family, and friendships...but the time has past and what lies ahead is all any of us really have.

Over the next several days something happened as my heart began to yearn, and sorrow for this child of mine...a thought came to me of the parable of the talents in the New Testament taught by the Savior. He talks about how "some are given five talents, another two and to another one, according to his several ability; and straightway took his journey".

Then He says "the one with the five talents took his five and traded it and made five more, and the one with two had gained two more. But he that had received one dug in the earth and hid his..."

The way the parable went in my mind was this...some are given five and do nothing with it, and some are given two and will do nothing with it, and then there is the person, who because they have learned by experience that they may only have one talent because of choices or circumstances, take that one talent and increase it one hundred fold! Is that possible? Does it really happen? Do people really learn and turn their lives around? Can you think of anyone who went from one talent to five, ten, twenty, or even a hundred? I can. Can you bury five talents as well as one?


Somehow there was a peace that whispered in my heart, deep, and penetrating...lasting and indelible. From that arose hope and wonder...


Peace comes from God. It is a gift. He gives it to us without us even asking. Is it constant, no, is it fleeting, yes, do we worry and doubt, probably? But when God speaks peace to us it is truly something to hold onto, in fact take it to the bank! It's nice that we have a Heavenly Father who loves us and wants us to live our lives abundantly in every way...just like I want the same for my children, and grandchildren. He wants the same for us. The difference...he has the power to change us, inspire us, grow us, show us...

What we value comes from what we feel, see, hear, taste, and smell...if we never feel peace how can we value it? I believe we can ask for peace, but I also believe God gives it to us even when we don't know how to ask for it...because he loves us...

I can't say my life is filled with peace...but I will gladly embrace the piece of peace I've been given.

Vicki


No comments:

Post a Comment